Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Thanks, have a nice day, and go Irish!

Driving up Notre Dame Ave this past weekend, I got that giddy feeling I often times do when I hear my favorite song on the radio or smell my favorite scent. It's tough to describe how stepping foot on that campus makes me feel, but I think those who have had the privilege of spending four or more years singing the fight song, lighting candles at the grotto, and running around the lake understand it very well. I try not to be the overzealous domer who shouts "Go Irish" every time I see someone wearing ND paraphernalia. But, who am I kidding? It's a special place and an incredible family. Although it has been lovingly referred to as the "Catholic Disneyland" or the "Superbowl for Catholics,” for many, it is also a place of retreat, a reunion of friends, and a home of memories.

Frosh-O could have been a painfully awkward experience, but I was blessed to find a couple of awesome girls to hang out with during the first few hours of being on ND’s campus. After karaoke with Lyons and listening to boys in kilts sing songs from Top Gun, I remember venturing to the grotto in the evening, lighting candles together, and sharing a bit more deeply about our families and experiences. After that first weekend, we became somewhat inseparable. We would get ready for football games together blasting the latest NOW CD while putting glitter on our eyes and green or leprechaun earrings on. We would walk over to Loftus and enjoy time with Grandma and Grandpa Frailey and eat those delicious chocolate chip cookies that I can never seem to replicate. We would make up cheers and dances in the bleachers when we would get bored of keeping track of the football game. AND, at the end of the day, we would meet together at the grotto, say a prayer, walk around the lake, and then go back to Howard to watch a movie in the green lounge. This is how my freshman year of college began. How blessed was I to have met such amazing, genuine, loving girls so soon?

I understand this is probably not everyone’s experience of college, and that’s why I find it important to write about today. I feel overwhelmed by the grace of friendship that I have received. I never could have imagined forming such strong, authentic, beautiful relationships then those I stumbled upon my freshman year. As these friendships have grown over time, and we are moving on to new stages (ahem, marriage), I just want to say thank you Katy and Emmie for being such strong supports in my life. I am incredibly grateful for not only the fun nights we spent at the Feve, our amazing win at the Chariot Races or our Badin Breakdown appearance, but also for the conversations, prayers, and walks we have shared and the sisterhood we have formed. Thank you for all that you have given me. I love you girls, and I can’t wait to dance to Cascada at the wedding soon!


1 comment:

  1. You better believe I am lurking this blog. This entry was so sweet, and also perfectly captured my memories of reshmane year ... I feel blessed to have found you too. But the best part is, without a doubt, the title. I laughed for a good five minutes.

    Thanks, have a great day, and GO IRISH!

    Can't wait to see you sooo soon.

    ReplyDelete