Sunday, May 9, 2010

Remember Your Roots

I have no idea the reason why I feel the urge to start a blog at this point in my life. Maybe its because I have been inspired by so many good friends and acquaintances who are sharing their thoughts and stories online and I enjoy reading their posts on everything from delicious cuisine to profound social justice issues. AND maybe its because I just finished finals and so I have some time to sit down and think about things other than school. Part of my fear in starting a blog is that 1) Someone could actually read this 2) I'm not quite sure I have anything fun or interesting to say 3) I'll probably forget to update this thing and remember 3-4 months later. Regardless, I feel excited and motivated to write the things that are on my mind, to share poetry, pictures, and ideas, with anyone and everyone who is willing to take the time to read these thoughts.

The reason I have decided to post this picture is that it draws together so many ideas that have been floating around in my head and have inspired me for so long. As many know, my mother, Sofia, is from Panama. She grew up outside of a small town called La Mesa, and I have never actually been able to see where she was raised because you apparently need a donkey to get there. Ever since I can remember, mama has always said "Remember your roots," and has emphasized that these deep roots are what affect who I am, where I have come from, and where I am going. These words have stayed with me for so long and continuously remind me of the lives and experiences that have shaped the person I have become, the brief encounters or the long-term relationships that have formed me. These "roots" give me strength and nourish me, they give life, hope, energy, and abundance.

This tree (which kind of reminds me of the Lion King and Rafiki) is found on the grounds of Hogar Monte Carmelo, a home for children in El Mangote, Panama, run by the Carmelite sisters of St. Joseph. Two summers ago, I spent three months at this wonderful home, learn ing fro m the sisters and the children about what it means to live simply and in community. My days were filled with pure joy as I practiced "baila tipica," gardening, praying the daily office, washing my clothes by hand, helping in the kitchen, and teaching English. While I was in Panama, I also spent time with my family who live in Araijan. Having the time to sit with my abuelo on the porch and feed his chickens, learning from his gentle
wisdom and humility, was a moment of true grace. This tree reminds me of these experiences, of my family and friends in Panama--my roots.

Finding my voice and building confidence to share my thoughts continues to be a long process. But, I look at this tree and remember that I have stuff I would like to share. What we all have in us are worthy, beautiful experiences, narratives of joy and suffering that have shaped who we are. For me, I hope this blog will be a way to rediscover those roots and honor those experiences and relationships that have deeply influenced me.
EDM

1 comment:

  1. Your words are beautiful and so are you. Thanks for sharing. I'll gladly take a donkey with you to the hometown :)
    Love,
    Sarah G

    ReplyDelete